The Catalist is not a spelling mistake.
Our name is the result of the combination of two other words that define the essence of this blog:
catalyst and optimist.
|n. catalyst [kӕtəlist]
1) a substance which causes or assists a chemical change in another substance without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.
2) someone or something that helps bring about a change.
n. optimist [ŏp'tə-mĭst]
We believe that there is a major flaw in the way Mexico and the United States of America have been communicating in the last years; not only at the level of the policymakers on both sides of the border but also at the citizens’ level.
And it is all about perception.
- Perception of what Mexico and the Mexicans are really all about,
- Perception of what Mexico and the USA as countries have in common,
- Perception of what Mexicans and Americans have in common – which is more than what we don’t have in common
A new perspective is needed if we want the relationship to flourish and not get stalled or deteriorate even further. A perspective that embraces the possibility of a better understanding of each other.
Inspired by optimism, our aim is to participate in that reaction that will eventually cause a positive change in the communication between two great nations that share so much more than just a border.
Read about the creator of TheCatalist here.